And Here I Sit and Wonder What to Write
And here I sit and wonder how to write
Wonder what I have to you impart
If indeed I have within my heart
The knowledge of a way out of this night.
If, within my soul, I have a flame
To which you lightless ones may move;
If I have see through eyes of love
That see the times and thus the times may tame.
I wonder if I know what you do not
And if I have the means to tell you aught.
I wonder if I ponder hidden thought
That, if left untold, is all for naught.
And here am I in stupefaction stood,
Inquiring what I have that may be good;
And how to tell you of it if I could,
For if I had it, assuredly I would.
And now I know the word to which I’m bound,
The word which, to me, is plainly writ
And yet I balk at simply scribbling it,
Is truly all I have worth writing down.
The only flame I hold within my soul
Is indeed the flame I’d rather hide.
I ought to, with abandon, open wide
And let the words of life within me roll.
I know that I know things which you do not,
That I hold great and everlasting thought.
That my eyes see with love by which I’m bought
And how I’d err to have that love forgot!
I must settle war within my heart
So that peace to you I might impart
And on the road to Life you may soon start.
I’ll hasten that you may at dawn depart.
Sophia White's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (And Here I Sit and Wonder What to Write by Sophia White )
- If Not Homespun, Scott J. Shepard
- Gifts, Scott J. Shepard
- Courage, Scott J. Shepard
- For Those Who Starve, Scott J. Shepard
- Gorgeous Girls, Scott J. Shepard
- Your Wet Eyelashes, Eyelids, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Minor Keys, Scott J. Shepard
- My Forgotten Love, Gianni Pansensoy
- Social Reconstruction, Scott J. Shepard
- Rain, Chad Seagraves
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)