Many great Masters have taken flight
To America, leaving this Island of green...
Satisfying life's ambition to capture
The International scene.
America may offer citizenship
With a place in the main A stream
But after a short while 'home' is calling
When many great men return to the fold
Then referred to as 'Anglo-American'
As was ordained in days of old.
One such poet from an English town
Wystan Hugh Auden,20th Century
Anglo-American Poet of much renown.
Joyce Hemsley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Anglo-American Poet by Joyce Hemsley )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
- April Rain Song, Langston Hughes
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- Life Is Fine, Langston Hughes