Conrad Potter Aiken
While the blue noon above us arches,
And the poplar sheds disconsolate leaves,
Tell me again why love bewitches,
And what love gives.
It is the trembling finger that traces
The eyebrow’s curve, the curve of the cheek?
The mouth that quivers, when the hand caresses,
But cannot speak?
No, not these, not in these is hidden
The secret, more than in other things:
Not only the touch of a hand can gladden
Till the blood sings.
It is the leaf that falls between us,
The bells that murmur, the shadows that move,
The autumnal sunlight that fades upon us:
These things are love.
It is the ‘No, let us sit here longer,’
The ‘Wait till tomorrow,’ the ‘Once I knew —’
These trifles, said as I touch your finger,
And the clock strikes two.
The world is intricate, and we are nothing.
It is the complex world of grass,
A twig on the path, a look of loathing,
Feelings that pass —
These are the secret! And I could hate you,
When, as I lean for another kiss,
I see in your eyes that I do not meet you,
And that love is this.
Rock meeting rock can know love better
Than eyes that stare or lips that touch.
All that we know in love is bitter,
And it is not much.
Conrad Potter Aiken's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Annihilation by Conrad Potter Aiken )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
- April Rain Song, Langston Hughes
- Dream Variations, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Love My Child, Ronald Strickland
- Exciting Inner Wildness, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Lost love, JAMAL BOULAJOUL
- Universe Of Tomorrow, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Pictures And Portraits, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Lost Dream, Tony Adah
- Our Street., michael walker
- Dreams Of This Mind, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Captured By Music, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Remembering Beauty Of Love, RoseAnn V. Shawiak