Mariam de Haan
The rose wilts,
Petal by petal.
The candle melts
Flicker by flicker.
The human ages
Wrinkle to wrinkle.
At each insult
Hate grows stronger.
But each smile
Makes the devil weaker.
And we thought
We would be together
But we knew it was never forever
Yet we said 'never say never'
But does forever last ever and ever?
Is reduced to dust.
The sea cucumber
Throws up his guts.
The photo is taken
Another fake pose.
Of a memory
You'll hold close.
The wind outside howls and whistles,
Spreading the leaves and the thistles.
While I spin in my chair,
Catching the momentum in my hair.
Mariam de Haan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Another Poem by Mariam de Haan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 January 1832 – 14 January 1898)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(November 1, 1871 – June 5, 1900)
(19 April 1928 - 26 December 2006)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Love, Sarah Flower Adams
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- A Thing of Beauty (Endymion), John Keats
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
Poem of the Day
- '' There's No Substitution '', bri mar
- Pessimist Vs. Optimist, Sujay Asukar
- In And Out Of Existence, Margaret Alice Second
- aChe HiLLy's Heal - oN thE hEELs oF eVeR.., sEaN nOrTh
- Pretty Eyes, Jack Abdallah
- The Heavy Thumb, Gouda Moon
- hope of hopes, Thampi KEE
- गोरबो इसिँनिफ्राइ -99, Ronjoy Brahma
- But It's Over, Tex T Sarnie
- The Opposing Thumb, Gouda Moon