Ansely Union Church
I went to the old church today.
I went because I was told
Someone had vandalized it.
I was told
That they had kicked the door in,
Shot paintballs all over the place,
Who could be so evil?
The old church has been mostly restored,
From what I could see.
Only two squares of windows
In the sunday school room were broke
I brought some flowers.
I walked into the graveyard.
Mamaw and Papaw
Dear Uncle, too,
It's been too long
Since I've visited.
I never knew Mamaw and Papaw,
But I've heard so much.
They are part of who I am.
Creative and strong they were.
I wish I were around when they were.
My dear Uncle,
He died last year,
Three days before my birthday.
Needless to say I didn't have a good birthday.
Oh, how I miss him.
I sat near Mamaw and Papaw
Placed the flowers
Around their stones.
And I sat there thinking.
I talked occasionaly,
Saying I wish I knew them.
But I can't.
I went to visit my dear Uncle,
I placed the flowers on his stone.
I told him I missed him.
Things have gone crazy
Since he left us.
I left the graveyard,
And walked back to the church.
I made sure nothing else was wrong.
I sat on the side steps to think.
I stared at the church bell.
So long has the chain been broken.
So long has the bell been toned.
And yet is still part of this.
Still of this old dear church.
Ansley Union Church is and will always be my home church. I've lived near it all of my life, as have my family. Whoever the boys were that vandalized it, should really grow up.
I love Mamaw Burndean, Papaw Casey, and Uncle Jimmie. R.I.P. forever.
Melanie Weeks's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ansely Union Church by Melanie Weeks )
- Youth, Yohan Confectioner
- Poetry (cavatina), Gert Strydom
- Flowers trick, hasmukh amathalal
- To a loved one that died, Gert Strydom
- Smooth Finisher, Yohan Confectioner
- Detach, gajanan mishra
- ~Go Back To Sleep~, A Ghost
- SFI Appears To Be Most Agggressive, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Do and go on, gajanan mishra
- Hurt, Tshering Chekii
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)