Ansely Union Church
I went to the old church today.
I went because I was told
Someone had vandalized it.
I was told
That they had kicked the door in,
Shot paintballs all over the place,
Who could be so evil?
The old church has been mostly restored,
From what I could see.
Only two squares of windows
In the sunday school room were broke
I brought some flowers.
I walked into the graveyard.
Mamaw and Papaw
Dear Uncle, too,
It's been too long
Since I've visited.
I never knew Mamaw and Papaw,
But I've heard so much.
They are part of who I am.
Creative and strong they were.
I wish I were around when they were.
My dear Uncle,
He died last year,
Three days before my birthday.
Needless to say I didn't have a good birthday.
Oh, how I miss him.
I sat near Mamaw and Papaw
Placed the flowers
Around their stones.
And I sat there thinking.
I talked occasionaly,
Saying I wish I knew them.
But I can't.
I went to visit my dear Uncle,
I placed the flowers on his stone.
I told him I missed him.
Things have gone crazy
Since he left us.
I left the graveyard,
And walked back to the church.
I made sure nothing else was wrong.
I sat on the side steps to think.
I stared at the church bell.
So long has the chain been broken.
So long has the bell been toned.
And yet is still part of this.
Still of this old dear church.
Ansley Union Church is and will always be my home church. I've lived near it all of my life, as have my family. Whoever the boys were that vandalized it, should really grow up.
I love Mamaw Burndean, Papaw Casey, and Uncle Jimmie. R.I.P. forever.
Melanie Weeks's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ansely Union Church by Melanie Weeks )
- We fall....TO RISE, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- LOSS....MANY, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- Alchemies, Aleda Shirley
- LAST SONG, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- ETERNAL LOVE, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- April 15th, Aleda Shirley
- I can FOCUS, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- Defining myself, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- A doggerel coin!, Sreeram Vasudevan
- THE COME BACK., Terry Collett
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Trees, Joyce Kilmer
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)