Anthem Of Life
Say it not in grieving breath,
That life is but an awful chase.
For the life that slumbers is ruined,
And nothing is real ‘xcept we made it so.
Life is sweet! Its toil is worth the tussle!
The grave is not its end.
We are dust but not our souls,
A divine spark within our bosom burns.
Not to labor, nor to enjoy,
Was not our destined task
But to act the script of Him who made us
And spread his fragrance on this sphere.
In the world’s large field of battle,
In this transit camp of life,
Be not like a driven steed of burden
But a champion of your every struggle.
Put no trust in the unknown morrow,
For you know not what it brings.
Act fast while the day still linger
And, fill your days with glee.
Our heroes’ tales a witness to us,
We can make our lives sublime.
When we quit life’s giant stage,
History’s’ pages will bear our deeds.
Pages that someday may the morrow inspire,
Set aflame the fainting souls of dreary pilgrims.
Sailing thru’ life’s stormy coast expired,
May find strength to brace life’s every grim.
Let us therefore with heads up high,
Even while life’s soar wine we taste.
For if we do, we birth a strength for the morrow
That will aid another in his quest.
Dave BenOdafe's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Anthem Of Life by Dave BenOdafe )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Carlos Drummond de Andrade
(January 6, 1883 – April 10, 1931)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Tiger, William Blake
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Visit from St. Nicholas, Clement Clarke Moore
Poem of the Day
- Recipe To Live, Asma Riaz Khan
- Mind Over Matter (Scream), Joseph Archer
- Jesus among Us, michael hagwood
- Winterpoesie, Johann Joseph Clahsen
- Love the Spine, V P Mahur
- Vergißmeinnicht, Johann Joseph Clahsen
- Loving Lips, V P Mahur
- Am Winterwehr, Johann Joseph Clahsen
- Christmas Midnight - Christ - Mitternacht, Johann Joseph Clahsen
- Holy Night - Weihnacht, Johann Joseph Clahsen