Robert William Service
I do not swear because I am
A sweet and sober guy;
I cannot vent a single damn
However hard I try.
And in viruperative way,
Though I recall it well,
I never, never, never say
A naughty word like hell.
To rouse my wrath you need not try,
I'm milder than a lamb;
However you may rile me I
Refuse to say: Goddam!
In circumstances fury-fraught
My tongue is always civil,
And though you goad me I will not
Consign you to the divvle.
An no, I never, never swear;
Profanity don't pay;
To cuss won't get you anywhere,
(And neither will to pray.)
And so all blasphemy I stem.
When milk of kindness curds:
But though I never utter them -
Gosh! how I know the words.
Robert William Service's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Anti-Profanity by Robert William Service )
- The Soul Killer~, Monk E. Biz
- You are young, hasmukh amathalal
- Poetry, Jesus James Llorico
- Do not ask, hasmukh amathalal
- My View of Heaven, Von Kimball Barney
- Forlorn Child., Marcondes Pereira
- I AM WOMAN, bill costley
- Experiment life, gajanan mishra
- Socialism - Vs - Anti -socialism, ramesh rai
- Beauty Rarely, Casey Renee Kiser