While apathy ticks like a clock
the pendulum keeps swinging,
and cautious cuckoos will not shock
the silence with their singing.
The constant concert of complaints
drones on without relief,
while in the background heartbeats faint
beat rhythm in their grief.
It seems that time is out of joint,
nostalgia can't repair
an unsprung life that has no point
and no more dares to care.
Inspired by Ben Brantley review of Kevin Kline's performance in the title role of Chekhov's 'Ivanov' (New York Times, November 21,1997) .
gershon hepner's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (apathy by gershon hepner )
- The Troika's Gone, sasha yarlexolnikov
- I Am as Dull as Everyday, Sara Fielder
- Vendémiaire Wednesdays, sasha yarlexolnikov
- Incandescent Drapes, sasha yarlexolnikov
- Stronghold: Macchu Picchu, Brandt Nightingale
- Friends, sasha yarlexolnikov
- Yes/No, Morgan Michaels
- Chibok Blues, Tony Adah
- Staged Fright, Luke J. Holt
- The Wall of Water Falls, Brandt Nightingale