While apathy ticks like a clock
the pendulum keeps swinging,
and cautious cuckoos will not shock
the silence with their singing.
The constant concert of complaints
drones on without relief,
while in the background heartbeats faint
beat rhythm in their grief.
It seems that time is out of joint,
nostalgia can't repair
an unsprung life that has no point
and no more dares to care.
Inspired by Ben Brantley review of Kevin Kline's performance in the title role of Chekhov's 'Ivanov' (New York Times, November 21,1997) .
gershon hepner's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (apathy by gershon hepner )
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)