What April showers mean to me,
Are flooding rains; an inland sea.
A babbling brook that starts to roar
When April showers start to pour.
Above the world, when springtime starts,
Our summertime down here departs,
And dried up earth soaks up the rain,
The grass is growing green again.
The farmers get another chance,
A while before the frosts advance.
A few months pass, and all is right.
Then suddenly one chilly night
The frost descends upon the ground,
Chilling all the grass around.
Four months pass since April came,
And all around is not the same.
The rain has gone, our grass is dead,
There's nothing in the flower bed.
Now we are feeling cold at heart,
But very soon the frosts depart.
And soon we see a longer day.
The farmers here are making hay.
December comes, it's very hot.
All our plants begin to rot.
There's not a cloud within the sky,
The grass that came begins to die.
Three months pass with no change yet,
Then April comes and all is wet,
Making all an inland sea.
That's what April means to me.
George Savige's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (April Showers by George Savige )
- Upon Me, Edward Kofi Louis
- Global Pie-in-the-sky, stephen ifill
- Fifty Percent, Tom Higgins
- Yamine, Edward Kofi Louis
- I want eyes, Nassy Fesharaki
- One More For The Road., Tom Higgins
- We don't accept anything anytime...., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Tread, read!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Against A Stone, Edward Kofi Louis
- Master of Plaster, Tom Higgins
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)