What April showers mean to me,
Are flooding rains; an inland sea.
A babbling brook that starts to roar
When April showers start to pour.
Above the world, when springtime starts,
Our summertime down here departs,
And dried up earth soaks up the rain,
The grass is growing green again.
The farmers get another chance,
A while before the frosts advance.
A few months pass, and all is right.
Then suddenly one chilly night
The frost descends upon the ground,
Chilling all the grass around.
Four months pass since April came,
And all around is not the same.
The rain has gone, our grass is dead,
There's nothing in the flower bed.
Now we are feeling cold at heart,
But very soon the frosts depart.
And soon we see a longer day.
The farmers here are making hay.
December comes, it's very hot.
All our plants begin to rot.
There's not a cloud within the sky,
The grass that came begins to die.
Three months pass with no change yet,
Then April comes and all is wet,
Making all an inland sea.
That's what April means to me.
George Savige's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (April Showers by George Savige )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Song About Myself, John Keats
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Bright Star, John Keats
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- "Why do I love" You, Sir?, Emily Dickinson
Poem of the Day
- The Escapist, Jaipal Singh
- GOD LISTENS AND SPEAKS, Michael P. Johnson
- A Journey By Indian Train, Bijay Kant Dubey
- They die before you do., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Witch Romance, Alexander Onoja
- The safe ground, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Old age gripping, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Your Warmth 2, Michael P. McParland
- The Zulu King, Margaret Alice Second
- I Love Life, Alfred Oyori