As It Was Written
riding your merry-go-round
right to the roots,
thickening the oceans like gravy,
festering in your caves,
you are becoming a latrine.
Your trees are twisted chairs.
Your flowers moan at their mirrors,
and cry for a sun that doesn't wear a mask.
Your clouds wear white,
trying to become nuns
and say novenas to the sky.
The sky is yellow with its jaundice,
and its veins spill into the rivers
where the fish kneel down
to swallow hair and goat's eyes.
All in all, I'd say,
the world is strangling.
And I, in my bed each night,
listen to my twenty shoes
converse about it.
And the moon,
under its dark hood,
falls out of the sky each night,
with its hungry red mouth
to suck at my scars.
Anne Sexton's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (As It Was Written by Anne Sexton )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Sun Smiles at morning-glories, What a Fun!, Harindhar Reddy
- Person of the Playful Star: Tanka [there.., Chimako Tada
- Love Desires, Perveiz Ali
- Tick, tick, Aromantic Birds in Love, Harindhar Reddy
- A Spray of Water: Tanka [the round spoon], Chimako Tada
- A Spray of Water: Tanka [the hot water in], Chimako Tada
- Person of the Playful Star: Tanka [I lis.., Chimako Tada
- Love Whips You on Naked Back, Harindhar Reddy
- ~I'm Going Home~, E Nigma
- Smile poem love, Elius Rubby