As The Time Draws Nigh
AS the time draws nigh, glooming, a cloud,
A dread beyond, of I know not what, darkens me.
I shall go forth,
I shall traverse The States awhile--but I cannot tell whither or how
Perhaps soon, some day or night while I am singing, my voice will
O book, O chants! must all then amount to but this?
Must we barely arrive at this beginning of us?... And yet it is
enough, O soul!
O soul! we have positively appear'd--that is enough.
Walt Whitman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (As The Time Draws Nigh by Walt Whitman )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Fired For Facebook Defense Of Cows, Saiom Shriver
- Friend, Alfred Oyori
- Offer Peacefully, Chinweokwu Sunlight M. Ndubu ..
- Seven Eleven, Nassy Fesharaki
- Synonyms For POET, Adriana Avila
- A Poem A Day Keeps The Doctor Away, Adriana Avila
- She looks Like a Princess, Rohit Sapra
- Just as I am., Roxanne Dubarry
- Winter night, Tom Squires
- mockingbird, oskar hansen