Dr John Celes
By stroke of twelve,
Lent has begun this year!
Heralded by Fasting, Abstinence
Till Easter-Sunday comes.
Give up meat;
Give up milk;
Give up fat;
Give up wine;
Just give up anything
Dear to your palate.
But most of all:
Give up your sinful ways
Reconcile with God.
The Road to Heaven seems to get
Narrower, day by day!
Control your appetite
Control your desires;
Control your excesses;
Control your body’s needs;
Control your mind and heart;
Declare your sins forgotten to God;
Gain His forgiveness.
Cleanse your thoughts
Purify your soul
And walk again with Jesus
Fixing your gaze upon heaven
That’s where we all belong!
Copyright by Dr John Celes 2-20-2007
Dr John Celes's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ash-Wednesday ‘07! by Dr John Celes )
- गोजाननि खौरां, Ronjoy Brahma
- Let us believe, hasmukh amathalal
- Christmas Again, Katherine Nordhaus
- Money, Katherine Nordhaus
- Older, Frank Avon
- A question to seasons, Melikhaya Zagagana
- Languid leman, Melikhaya Zagagana
- Tweet-tweet! I Visited a Hamlet with a G.., Harindhar Reddy
- PURITY OF SNOW., Terry Collett
- What If You Had No Beliefs? NONE!, Mr. Nobody
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- On the Pulse of Morning, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)