Austerity Of Poetry
That son of Italy who tried to blow,
Ere Dante came, the trump of sacred song,
In his light youth amid a festal throng
Sate with his bride to see a public show.
Fair was the bride, and on her front did glow
Youth like a star; and what to youth belong--
Gay raiment, sparkling gauds, elation strong.
A prop gave way! crash fell a platform! lo,
'Mid struggling sufferers, hurt to death, she lay!
Shuddering, they drew her garments off--and found
A robe of sackcloth next the smooth, white skin.
Such, poets, is your bride, the Muse! young, gay,
Radiant, adorn'd outside; a hidden ground
Of thought and of austerity within.
Matthew Arnold's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Austerity Of Poetry by Matthew Arnold )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Sweet Babe, Zillur Rahman Shuvro
- La cura' el mate, Leónidas Lamborghini
- Cymbal of time, Zillur Rahman Shuvro
- বিবেকের দংশন, Amitava Sur
- ., John Daniel Thieme
- Who is my Assassin, Zillur Rahman Shuvro
- World is my mother, Zillur Rahman Shuvro
- Be Positive, Zillur Rahman Shuvro
- Night Within, tolu ogundare
- Unfulfilled Dream, Zillur Rahman Shuvro