Barefeet in the earth
My Mother tends her garden,
just like she tends a child;
Her flowers bloom in sweet profusion,
Joyfull, never wild.
Kneeling beneath the arbour,
she tends her rosy prizes;
Dad sits upon his deck chair,
He gently supervises.
And there I was all spruced up,
dressed up to the hilt;
Mind and heart so weary,
Tears dried, already spilt.
Mum glanced at me and knew at once.
She called me to her side;
One silent smile within her eyes,
No need to speak, confide.
My fancy heels were kicked off;
without a backward glance;
I knelt down in the open earth,
So grateful for the chance.
We dug, we pruned, we weeded,
Earth splattered on my dress;
My stockings laddered, ruined,
My nails a muddy mess.
My heart was gently healing,
in this company serene;
Playing in the earth again,
surrounded by sweet green.
Nature has her healing ways,
We only have to choose,
Love and Service are the keys,
not ridiculously high heeled shoes...
Roann Mendriq's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Barefeet in the earth by Roann Mendriq )
- Is Suicide The Answer?, louis rams
- Special Meanings Spoken, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Best Thing, Gerry Legister
- Burn, Your Eyes, Josh Terpening
- In a Dark Dark Room on Halloween, Eve Carter
- Benefit Of Intellect, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Symbol Of Freedom, Joseph T. Renaldi
- Keeping Done A Decadence, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Writing Into Existence, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Reap & Sow, Angela K Brown
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)