Lucy Terry Prince
August, twas the twenty-fifth,
Seventeen houndred forty-six,
The Indians did in ambush lay,
Some very valiant men to slay
Twas nigh unto Sam Dickinson's mill,
The Indians there five men did kill.
The names of whom I'll not leave out,
Samuel Allen like a hero foute,
And though he was so brave and bold,
His face no more shall we behold.
Eleazer Hawks was killed outright,
Before he had time to fight,
Before he did the Indians see,
Was shot and killed immediately.
Oliver Amsden he was slain,
Which caused his friends much grief pain.
Simeon Amsden they found dead
Not many rods from Oliver's head.
Adonijah Gillett, we do hear,
Did lose his life which was so dear.
John Sadler fled across the water,
And thus escaped the dreadful slaughter.
Eunice Allen see the Indians comeing
And hoped to save herself by running:
And had not her petticoats stopt her,
The awful creatures had not cotched her,
Not tommyhawked her on the head,
And left her on the ground for dead.
Young Samuel Allen, Oh! lack-a-day!
Was taken and carried to Canada.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Bars Fight by Lucy Terry Prince )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Ku mund ta gjej demonin e arsyes? ....., skender iljaz braka
- Music is a miracle..., PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Irresistible Sweetness, kayanja isaac
- Not a journey by train, Stephen Brian Brady
- आंखौ दाबावदे सना, Bahadur Basumatary
- No Choice, Elia Michael
- Bury My Unwillingness, Margaret Alice Second
- An advice, Somanathan Iyer
- Too long, too short, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- Its been four months now, Vangile Mtyali