Lucy Terry Prince
August, twas the twenty-fifth,
Seventeen houndred forty-six,
The Indians did in ambush lay,
Some very valiant men to slay
Twas nigh unto Sam Dickinson's mill,
The Indians there five men did kill.
The names of whom I'll not leave out,
Samuel Allen like a hero foute,
And though he was so brave and bold,
His face no more shall we behold.
Eleazer Hawks was killed outright,
Before he had time to fight,
Before he did the Indians see,
Was shot and killed immediately.
Oliver Amsden he was slain,
Which caused his friends much grief pain.
Simeon Amsden they found dead
Not many rods from Oliver's head.
Adonijah Gillett, we do hear,
Did lose his life which was so dear.
John Sadler fled across the water,
And thus escaped the dreadful slaughter.
Eunice Allen see the Indians comeing
And hoped to save herself by running:
And had not her petticoats stopt her,
The awful creatures had not cotched her,
Not tommyhawked her on the head,
And left her on the ground for dead.
Young Samuel Allen, Oh! lack-a-day!
Was taken and carried to Canada.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Bars Fight by Lucy Terry Prince )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Man's a Man for A' That, Robert Burns
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- To drive a point, i collect pebbles and .., RIC S. BASTASA
- I follow the smoke, and sigh, RIC S. BASTASA
- Unchanging To Exchange Blame, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Have Fun! Why Not?, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Respecting Ideas, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- where you belong..., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Our Divine Differences, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Sense Of Being Directionless, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Desert, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- Living on, The Princess is