Lucy Terry Prince
August, twas the twenty-fifth,
Seventeen houndred forty-six,
The Indians did in ambush lay,
Some very valiant men to slay
Twas nigh unto Sam Dickinson's mill,
The Indians there five men did kill.
The names of whom I'll not leave out,
Samuel Allen like a hero foute,
And though he was so brave and bold,
His face no more shall we behold.
Eleazer Hawks was killed outright,
Before he had time to fight,
Before he did the Indians see,
Was shot and killed immediately.
Oliver Amsden he was slain,
Which caused his friends much grief pain.
Simeon Amsden they found dead
Not many rods from Oliver's head.
Adonijah Gillett, we do hear,
Did lose his life which was so dear.
John Sadler fled across the water,
And thus escaped the dreadful slaughter.
Eunice Allen see the Indians comeing
And hoped to save herself by running:
And had not her petticoats stopt her,
The awful creatures had not cotched her,
Not tommyhawked her on the head,
And left her on the ground for dead.
Young Samuel Allen, Oh! lack-a-day!
Was taken and carried to Canada.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Bars Fight by Lucy Terry Prince )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1914 - 1955)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Christ: The Light Of The World, Denis Martindale
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Sonnet XVII, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
Poem of the Day
- folding my hands, Mandolyn ...
- we never try to smile, Prophmatt . . .
- Compunction, Kumarmani Mahakul
- Strange Random Thoughts For A Fireside C.., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Behind Lashes, naida supnet
- Timeless Era Of Thought, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Those Ignorant Steps, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Pen Me Passion, Shania K. Younce
- Curiosity's Appetite, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Why Do Bad Things happen to good people?, Shania K. Younce