Ahamad Ilyaas Vilayathullah
Basra Awaits A Musa
Now that the tyrant is gone,
You fail to know
What your position today is.
He was a tyrant, no doubt.
But there was an order
In the disorder.
The madness, sure, had a method.
Now, do you find only madness?
What else did
you see in Basra?
The ribs of your darling little,
Baha Musa, trampled and broken,
Now a lifeless lump!
Perhaps, they were celebrating
The glory of their military might,
And the Blare they heard.
Do not call them killers, nor savages,
These are your names.
And naming is their business.
And they have come to liberate you
From the oppressor, the tyrant,
And read no ironies in these words.
The age of ironies is gone.
And you live in the pure
White age of the liberators.
You children of Abraham,
How do you stand
This much liberty,
This much affection?
Put all your might together.
The little Baha Musa will be
Reborn in your Basra city.
A Musa to challenge
Pharaoh of the age.
Ahamad Ilyaas Vilayathullah's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Basra Awaits A Musa by Ahamad Ilyaas Vilayathullah )
- Revolution, Revolution, Revolu -, Romella Kitchens
- हमें आपके लिए.. hame aapke liye, hasmukh amathalal
- Dusky Day in Dallas, michael walker
- Mom, Barbara Dixion
- I almost was left behind., Sonia Ode Lucci
- Fairyland, Alesia Leach
- Lack of money does not mean lack of wisdom, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- On The T.V., Hannah Bryson Price
- Why do need wisdom anytime?, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- it is almost poetry, Mandolyn ...
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)