The powers that be picked a site
Across the field from a playground.
A plant was built, shiny and bright,
Guaranteed to be safe and sound.
As the neighborhood children played,
Across the field in profit haste,
The plant owners were getting paid
To dispose of hazardous waste.
The plant shut down after a year.
Toxic emissions were too high.
Dangerous levels did appear
At the playground. No one knew why.
The childrens' playground days were done,
As cancer killed them one by one.
Ima Ryma's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Be Damned by Ima Ryma )
- sometimes we all, Ben Paynter
- Difficult to return, gajanan mishra
- Life Is, Andy Caldwell
- Amn't Gone!, Sir Toby
- There Is Nothing In Me, Shalom Freedman
- Just For You, Khairul Ahsan
- Only You, Sonya Annita Song
- Limerick.21. An Advice, Valsa George
- You are welcome, my dear Mother, gajanan mishra
- Not all you get, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
Orhan Veli Kanik
(13 April 1914 – 14 November 1950)
- Heather Burns
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)