Beautiful swimmer, I see you,
diving beneath the water,
wings wet like a dewed blade of grass,
tail feathers greased like hair slicked back,
your beady eyes focused, holding your breath,
your dinner’s beneath you, sinking fast.
With hinged beak you grab your meal,
wriggling from your bone-hard lips
that break through the scales.
Then you drift upwards, out of the water,
and swim off into the sky.
Jesse Ellsbury's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Beautiful Swimmer by Jesse Ellsbury )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Eternity Calls..., John Ugolo Umah
- To live is to, gajanan mishra
- When love fades and tolerance takes over., Lehlogonolo Phora
- In The Arms Of!, John Ugolo Umah
- A Senior Citizen, Pius Didier
- Beclouded, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Why I am taken as toy, noctiluca scintillans
- Let's smile, Nassy Fesharaki
- When I Die A Teacher, Pius Didier
- Family, Kolade Seun