Res John Burman
I am the sword of the Samurai,
Lovingly sharpened, honed,
Polished by skilled craftsman’s hands.
Some talk of thirsty blades,
But we are indifferent to flesh.
Though flesh is unwise to cross us!
I am the Cavalry Sabre,
Sharpened on the mobile whetstone,
Every unit carries, before battle.
I am the pike and the bayonet,
The shining spear point blade,
Winking in the sun and air.
I am myriads of knives
Fighting, hunting, whittling
Cooking but seldom “Flick”.
Invariably an inferior tool,
Made from suspect steel.
And wielded by fools.
I am the carpenters chisel.
Honed bright on Arkansas Stone,
And leather or canvas strop.
Handle polished smooth with use,
Fit to pare wood as thinner than a whisker
Worthy of the hand of a Saviour.
I am the surgeons scalpel,
Razor sharp, stainless,
Used only once.
And I am millions of razors,
Open, safety, twin, three, four, five
Bladed and disposable.
Scraping daily at men’s chins
And ladies legs, etcetera.
I am carbon enriched steel
Danish, Solingen, Damascus.
Forged in the white heat
Of the furnace glare.
I am Scorpio personified,
As good or evil as he who uses it,
As constructive or destructive,
The Sharp Cutting Edge.
26th March 2008
Res John Burman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Blades by Res John Burman )
- When you know God, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- A Hymn, Sir Henry Wotton
- Raja Ravi Varma, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Psalm CIV, Sir Henry Wotton
- Friendship, Afshan Fatima
- Shaking Off The Finger Tip, Is It Poetry
- Golden Glow, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- A Prayer, Nicholas Breton
- Invective: The Hate Of Treason, Nicholas Breton
- Goodbye Elias, Tony Adah
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- Emmonsail's Heath in Winter, John Clare
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)