By The Quay
I KNEW a ship in the magical time
Of painted toy and nursery rhyme
That quested the world with sails unfurled,
And fluttered her flag in every clime.
Now, once a year, when she came to port,
We quitted our lessons, forgot our sport,
Deserted schools with their tiresome rules,
And rushed to her side to pay her court.
We turned from the town with its ceaseless noise,
Its staring windows and gilded toys;
For she was a queen in her gold and green
And we were a group of Quayside boys.
We climbed her yards at the risk of our necks,
Or grouped wide-eyed on her snowy decks
While her sailors told — what time they rolled
The quid in their cheeks — of reefs and wrecks.
Great talk they made of the China Seas,
The cocoa-nut isles and the scented breeze
That came at night in the white moonlight
From cinnamon groves and camphor trees.
They yarned of dolphins and mermaids white
And Father Neptune abroad at night —
Or, short and tall, yet merry men all,
They danced a jig in the sunset light.
But, best of all, when the night came down
Were the songs they chorused of London Town —
Now loud, now low — with a Yo-heave-O,
And brave, blue eyes under brows of brown.
Now, kissing the foam when the good ship sped,
And poised at her fore with lips of red
And a robe of blue, was — what think you? —
Why, only a wooden figure-head.
Just that! no more; but its buoyant poise
Was such that it seemed a joy of joys,
And its gold-tressed head and its lips of red
Were loved, I think, by the Quayside Boys.
O! the vanished things are the things that most
We grieve about — and that Quayside host,
Would they sigh if told that their ship of old
Is a hulk for coals on the Spanish Coast?
Roderic Quinn's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (By The Quay by Roderic Quinn )
- tO Watch? 'The Maze Runner' 2014 online .., canadi arese
- Piece of peace, george albot
- THE POEM FROM HINTERLAND, SirLalianMwittah Nyalali
- An Elixir, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Sirene, Tanja Bulovic
- Dream Life, Nassy Fesharaki
- u want? Watch 'Divergent' Free Online St.., ada ajakaunak
- The Jackalope Man, Like a Goose to Florida, Bruce Larkin
- I'm Wally the Wacky Warlock, Bruce Larkin
- One Day I Dreamed, Clive Blake
Poem of the Day
- FRee! ! Barcelona vs Ajax Live. Streamin.., miami dupli
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Enjoyable@@ Roma vs Bayern Munich live s.., Shohag Kaysar
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- miami dupli
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 January 1832 – 14 January 1898)