A Song Of Keats
'TIS a tarnished book and old,
Edges frayed and covers green!
But, between the covers, gold —
Gold and jewels in between.
And this written (see, O see!
How old Time has made it dim)
'For one song Keats gave to me
I kneel down and worship him.'
He who wrote these lines is dust;
All of him is passed away;
Some hand closed his eyes, I trust,
Drew the blind to darken day.
Did lips kiss him at the end,
Love-lips tremulous yet brave?
Had he mistress, child, or friend
To sow green grass upon his grave?
Nay, we know not — it is long
Since he tired of Life's deceits,
Closed his ears to sigh and song,
Parted with this book, JOHN KEATS.
Year by year the Poet thrives;
Summer smiles and winter weeps;
La Belle Dame Sans Merci lives,
But a heart that loved her sleeps.
Who would woeful go to miss
Roses red in thorns arrayed,
When he might with surer bliss
Love a milkwhite Devon maid?
Beauty kindles man's desire,
Beauty dwindles, growing faint;
But the girls who never tire
Are the girls that poets paint.
When the moon has taken wings
And the twilight hour is come,
Grey the woods, and no bird sings:
Grey the world beyond, and dumb:
Neither light is there nor breeze,
Rose to redden, thorn to pain;
Till, look! look! Among the trees
A sudden bird! a scarlet stain!
So he tired of Fate's defeats,
Life's dead trees and woodlands grim,
Till sudden-sweet a song of Keats
One magic moment gave to him.
Roderic Quinn's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Song Of Keats by Roderic Quinn )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Love, Sarah Flower Adams
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- When your Birthday Falls on Christmas..., Dr John Celes
- Me, Myself, Tex T Sarnie
- For to Be A Poetess, I Left My Husband, .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- बैसागु, Ronjoy Brahma
- Chassis, Alice Cordy
- My Time On The Mountain, Orlando Belo
- A Degree of Intensity, Daniel Brick
- Oh, This Age of Self-propaganda And Publ.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- हारिनि इयुना जोँनि आखायावनो, Ronjoy Brahma
- The Honey Bee, Paul Sebastian