C. I. Meade
You were young and they were singing you to sleep,
Rock-a-bye baby on the tree top,
When the wind blows the cradle will rock.
When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall, and down will come baby
Cradle and all.
However it was fire that devoured the bough you were so carefully laid on and then your cradle.
You were only halfway down when your brother took you and held you for the rest of his life, even in his death.
But before that you leave him in pursuit of a patch of unsigned grass somewhere out there.
Now look at you,
You found that patch of green for a while but now you know better. Now you know there is no green grass out there for you and your pyrophoric limbs.
After that they're taking you from the cross, saving you
But you panic, try to nail yourself back on.
What if I'm alone again?
You can't handle another fall.
But something goes wrong and you're pulling the trigger
To the gun your father put to your head years ago.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Calvary by C. I. Meade )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Michael P. McParland
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Home They Brought Her Warrior Dead, Alfred Lord Tennyson
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fear No More, William Shakespeare
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Christmas Day In the Workhouse, George Robert Sims
- The Tiger, William Blake
Poem of the Day
- The Illusory Driver, Lukas Sotola
- कहो क्या हो, जो मेरा दिल तुम्हे मुमताज़ क.., Abhishek Omprakash Mishra
- the kingdom is born, ademola oluwabusayo
- Haiku(Christmas), Aftab Alam
- At a Wedding, Sir John Suckling
- Nostalgia, Lawrence Beck
- Evening Song, Sherwood Anderson
- Gentle Golden Light, Margaret Alice Second
- What is I want under the destinies ten.., Yuri Starostin
- Lonely Road, Alexander Onoja