Edgar Lee Masters
The press of the Spoon River Clarion was wrecked,
And I was tarred and feathered,
For publishing this on the day the Anarchists were hanged in Chicago:
"I saw a beautiful woman with bandaged eyes
Standing on the steps of a marble temple.
Great multitudes passed in front of her,
Lifting their faces to her imploringly.
In her left hand she held a sword.
She was brandishing the sword,
Sometimes striking a child, again a laborer,
Again a slinking woman, again a lunatic.
In her right hand she held a scale;
Into the scale pieces of gold were tossed
By those who dodged the strokes of the sword.
A man in a black gown read from a manuscript:
'She is no respecter of persons.'
Then a youth wearing a red cap
Leaped to her side and snatched away the bandage.
And lo, the lashes had been eaten away
From the oozy eye-lids;
The eye-balls were seared with a milky mucus;
The madness of a dying soul
Was written on her face --
But the multitude saw why she wore the bandage."
Edgar Lee Masters's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Carl Hamblin by Edgar Lee Masters )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(6 January 1878 – 22 July 1967)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- True Love, Robert Penn Warren
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
Poem of the Day
- God's Most Published Poet, Tom Zart
- Fruitless love, Nero CaroZiv
- Misunderstood, Madrason writer
- Do what father says, Madrason writer
- Placid Emotions, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Verzetsstrijders, Madrason writer
- Weke vaders, Madrason writer
- Disconnected, Madrason writer
- From what tall lie am I, Madrason writer
- Out Of Body, RoseAnn V. Shawiak