Robert William Service
Said darling daughter unto me:
"oh Dad, how funny it would be
If you had gone to Mexico
A score or so of years ago.
Had not some whimsey changed your plan
I might have been a Mexican.
With lissome form and raven hair,
Instead of being fat and fair.
"Or if you'd sailed the Southern Seas
And mated with a Japanese
I might have been a squatty girl
With never golden locks to curl,
Who flirted with a painted fan,
And tinkled on a samisan,
And maybe slept upon a mat -
I'm very glad I don't do that.
"When I consider the romance
Of all your youth of change and chance
I might, I fancy, just as well
Have bloomed a bold Tahitian belle,
Or have been born . . . but there - ah no!
I draw the line - and Esquimeaux.
It scares me stiff to think of what
I might have been - thank God! I'm not."
Said I: "my dear, don't be absurd,
Since everything that has occurred,
Through seeming fickle in your eyes,
Could not a jot be otherwise.
For in this casual cosmic biz
The world can be but what it is;
And nobody can dare deny
Part of this world is you and I.
Or call it fate or destiny
No other issue could there be.
Though half the world I've wandered through
Cause and effect have linked us two.
Aye, all the aeons of the past
Conspired to bring us here at last,
And all I ever chanced to do
Inevitably led to you.
To you, to make you what you are,
A maiden in a Morris car,
IN Harris tweeds, an airedale too,
But Anglo-Saxon through and through.
And all the good and ill I've done
In every land beneath the sun
Magnificently led to this -
A country cottage and - your kiss."
Robert William Service's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Causation by Robert William Service )
- Close To The Fish, Stephen Peter Mills
- I Walk With Life, Neela Nath
- Time Is A Series Of Boxes, James Merchant
- COPLA 110 RESOLUTION: This Bad Guy World, T (no first name) Wignesan
- Stay clean, gajanan mishra
- Waar de hoer een man is op een paard, Madrason writer
- Your Fame, Stephen Peter Mills
- Search the swan, gajanan mishra
- IF I SMILE., Terry Collett
- First Fruit, Donald Owen Cunnion
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Ballad of Gentleness, Geoffrey Chaucer
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- My Teacher, My Hero, Geneen Alyssa Meyers
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)