Children on the Moon
When I was young
there were marvels and wonders
a nest of children
lived in the crescent moon.
The oddest and most frightful shapes
appeared next to my bed at night
making me tremble with agony and alarm.
Uknown footsteps sounded on the stairs.
My woes began early
and grew worse as I grew older.
When I had grown old enough
to know these things could not be so
I still could not accustom myself-
unable to resist their pull
I could not let them go.
What had begun early only grew worse
and stays with me still.
The wish has grown upon me
with the passing years-
that I might fly away
to those children in the moon
to nest with them there.
I curl up in my bed at night
and hope to disappear.
Gillian Commerford's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Children on the Moon by Gillian Commerford )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Blow, Blow, Thou Winter Wind, William Shakespeare
- The Shoelace, Charles Bukowski
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- Vampire, Alem Hailu Gabre Kristos
- Waiting Impatiently, Amitava Sur
- Recalling with Emotion in Foreign Land (.., Luo Zhihai
- To Live and to Love, Hannington Mumo
- The bad boy mentality, Alem Hailu Gabre Kristos
- A sunflower soul, Alem Hailu Gabre Kristos
- BFF - dOnE - playing kEtCh uP, sEaN nOrTh
- A 360 turn, Alem Hailu Gabre Kristos
- an i like you that way - sweetest thing .., sEaN nOrTh
- Longing, Michael P. McParland