Colin Ian Jeffery
When I was a child
Christmas was a loving joy
Sweetly enhancing the soul
With memories of smiles and laughter
Wearing paper hats, pulling crackers
Golden times with my parents and brother.
Late on Christmas Eve
Close to the midnight hour
My father crept silent as a mouse
Into the bedroom I shared with my brother
Filling our pillowcases with toys
While we pretended to sleep.
At noon, we sat around a laden table
With turkey crisp and golden
Ready to be carved; legs for my brother and me.
Sage and onion stuffing, roast potatoes, brussel sprouts,
Then a luscious rounded Christmas pudding
With hidden three-penny pieces to bring us luck.
Now, alone and frail in white-haired old age
Parents and brother long gone
I eat alone and watch the Queen on TV
Doze awhile dreaming of other Christmases
When I was a child sitting at a laden table
Hearing my family’s laughter sharing their joy.
Colin Ian Jeffery's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (CHRISTMAS ALONE by Colin Ian Jeffery )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- EVERY ACTION HAS ITS REACTION لكل فعل رد.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Hatred Is Black, Rich Reitz
- EVERY ACTION ITS REACTION لكل فعل ردة فعله, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Happiness Is Gold, Rich Reitz
- Can't Go Home Again, Rich Reitz
- Seagull Halo, Saiom Shriver
- Don't Mean Nothin', Rich Reitz
- Rat Race, Rich Reitz
- ZZ How Lou Gehrig And Mao Tse Tung Got L.., Saiom Shriver
- Stygian, Saiom Shriver