Frank V. Gardner
Come Home. Danny
The day that Danny went away
He didn't make a fuss.
It was the second day of May....
He left a note for us.
It said he'd join us later on....
He wanted better life.
God knows we tried before he left,
Despite some family strife.
But off he went, with nothing but
The clothing that he wore.
A friend who saw him headed north,
Reported nothing more.
Where did he go? What could he do?
A fifteen-year-old boy....
A letter or a phone call would
Just fill our hearts with joy.
But we must sit and wonder as
We hope and pray for him,
While he is out there all alone
In answer to his whim.
This quiet plea is in our hearts
With every passing night:
'Come home to us now, Danny boy,
Let's try to make things right.'
God help and guide you, Danny boy,
And bring you home to stay.
Then we'll forget that day in May....
When you just walked away.
(Written on May 19,1972, in Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas, Mexico.)
Frank V. Gardner's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Come Home. Danny by Frank V. Gardner )
- In the depths of a grim winter (cavatina), Gert Strydom
- TO THE INSOMNIAC, sathya narayana
- Season is unfavorable,, Aftab Alam
- English As My Second Language, Tony Adah
- Without Taking A Breath, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- I wonder if all men long for a girl… (ca.., Gert Strydom
- Is it absurd to fall too deep?, Mark Heathcote
- Kindness Begets Kindness, Tony Adah
- कलेजनि अनजालिनिसिम: दोँसे खन्थाय, Bahadur Basumatary
- Deep Within, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Exposure, Wilfred Owen
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)