After all, what's the worst thing that I can say
About you and our marriage? It is this:
I don't love you - cannot, the way I want to love
A woman; and that we are incompatible, by nature
Utterly different from one another; finally,
That we'll never really be happy, together.
After having said the worst,
I immediately begin to feel better:
The only way now is up.
And I try to rationalize away my hurt;
We cannot live up to anyone else's standards
Of love, happiness, or compatibility.
It's best to leave these women's magazine issues,
And get on with our own lives,
Figuring out our own way.
Till we can agree, let's follow this simple rule:
You do what you like, I do what I;
And sometimes we can do it together.
Let us be true to each other
By being true to ourselves;
Let us find strength in our weakness.
Because, hey darling, don't you see
That as long as you can still hurt me,
I'll never be able to leave you.
[From The Serene Flame]
Makarand Paranjape's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Compatible Incompatibility by Makarand Paranjape )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Visit from St. Nicholas, Clement Clarke Moore
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Haiku Snowflakes, Kwai Chee Low
- रंजानाय फैगौ, Ronjoy Brahma
- Haiku Christmas is Here, Kwai Chee Low
- Snowman, Kwai Chee Low
- Heralding Christmas, Kwai Chee Low
- Under the Mistletoe, Kwai Chee Low
- Silent Nature, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Sorry, Sorry, Sorry To Say That, Pijush Biswas
- Let Me Stand Here, gajanan mishra
- Quack, Quack says the Duck, Kumarmani Mahakul