After all, what's the worst thing that I can say
About you and our marriage? It is this:
I don't love you - cannot, the way I want to love
A woman; and that we are incompatible, by nature
Utterly different from one another; finally,
That we'll never really be happy, together.
After having said the worst,
I immediately begin to feel better:
The only way now is up.
And I try to rationalize away my hurt;
We cannot live up to anyone else's standards
Of love, happiness, or compatibility.
It's best to leave these women's magazine issues,
And get on with our own lives,
Figuring out our own way.
Till we can agree, let's follow this simple rule:
You do what you like, I do what I;
And sometimes we can do it together.
Let us be true to each other
By being true to ourselves;
Let us find strength in our weakness.
Because, hey darling, don't you see
That as long as you can still hurt me,
I'll never be able to leave you.
[From The Serene Flame]
Makarand Paranjape's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Compatible Incompatibility by Makarand Paranjape )
- Separation of the women who resemble sui.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- The Light The Night Sows, Walid Lounes Bouzerar
- Lasting Sorrow, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Heart condition, Ibrar Siddiqi
- A Poet's Echo, Nate Flying Owl
- did the clergy man create chaos when the.., Mandolyn ...
- Path Of No Resistance, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- If Love... The This Follow...., Luis Estable
- Can This Be My Mistake, Luis Estable
- He was a carpenter. He worked with wood., Royston Allen
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)