Constance Wood - Headmistress
How she charmed and terrified me!
I can still see her
(fifty years on)
winging her way
across the quadrangle-
black gown flapping,
small laced feet
pecking the gravel.
I used to imitate her
in my senior years.
(I wonder if she knew?)
I loved the titillation
of risking detention
in the pursuit of peer approval.
Miss Wood was quite an actress herself.
Each Monday morning she took
centre stage at assembly.
Diminutive and domineering
(Queen Victoria minus the veil)
she would issue her orders for the week,
before leading us in
her favorite hymn
'Morning Has Broken'
I was about twelve
when she took us for Latin -
and for the first time
I met the teacher behind the gown.
She was magnificent -
a brilliant educator
with a passion for her subject
and a devotion to her students.
(Such a generous marker too!)
I heard she died last year.
She had just turned 104!
She must have spent
the last forty years of her life
without her girls.
How terribly sad.
Alison Cassidy's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Constance Wood - Headmistress by Alison Cassidy )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(22 March 1941 -)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Love After Love, Derek Walcott
Poem of the Day
- Four Leaf Clover, Eve White
- Eric Gone Postal, Eve White
- Half-Breed or Racist, Eve White
- (Rock ballad) Hold on and letting go, Putri Misnia Shary Bahri (Sh ..
- Road Kill, Liilia Talts Morrison
- Plum Pudding Much Needed, Vera Sidhwa
- The River, bryan wallace
- Strides, Vera Sidhwa
- The Snowdrop, bryan wallace
- Overload, bryan wallace