Rise, brothers, rise, the wakening skies
Pray to the morning lights,
The wind lies asleep in the arms of the dawn
Like a child that has cried all night.
Come, let us gather our nets from the shore,
And set our catamarans free,
To capture the leaping wealth of the tide,
For we are the sons of the sea.
No longer delay, let us hasten away
In the track of the seagull's call;
The sea is our mother, the cloud our brother,
The waves are our comrades all.
What thoush we toss at the fall of the sun
Where the hand of the sea-god drives?
He who holds the storm by his hair
Will hide n his breast our lives.
Sweet is the shade of the coconut glade,
And the scent of the mango grove,
And sweet are the sands at the full o' the moon
With the sound of the voices we love.
But sweeter, O brothers, the kiss of the spray,
And the dance of the wild foam's glee:
Row, brothers, row to the blue of the verge,
Where the low sky mates with the sea.
Manas Rastogi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Coromandel fishers by Manas Rastogi )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
Edgar Albert Guest
(20 August 1881 - 5 August 1959)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- A Wanderer, Noah Body
- Adil Jussawalla A Poet Of The Fragmented.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Villanelle: Nothing so upturns creative .., T (no first name) Wignesan
- यादों का आवागमन............, sanjay kumar maurya
- Chiquitita, Matthias Pantaleon
- Through Heaven's Backdoor, Smoky Hoss
- A Little Daughter, What Have I In Poor I.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- crazy huh, Natalie Washington
- Textology - 5. Sentences, Joseph Archer
- Why have you destroyed, gajanan mishra