'Hello Darkness, My Old Friend.'
As the radio spewed out the words
To the 'Sounds of Silence'. An old
Simon and Garfunkel song.
'I've Come To Talk With You Again.'
and Mary would turn the volume down
quickly and explain.
We were maybe upper teens but Mary
had an understanding beyound the prophets
She would explain the hidden meanings
of the songs to me.
'Because A Vision Softly Creeping
Left It's Seeds While I Was Sleeping.'
At the time the Vietnam War was raging
and our friends were dying for nothing.
Jake my best High School friend had
died at eighteen. Mary's brother was
listed as missing in action and never
came to conclusion.
After that Mary sort of lost it and
acquired her nickname. But we both
learned to cope with it and music
was the cure we both sought for healing.
'And That Vision That Was Planted
In My Brain Still Remains.'
Mary grew up, older and married.
Some pseudo fake frat guy who
remained eighteen for the rest of his life.
She turned into a pill dropping alcoholic
and one night went to bed and never
woke up again, and I can hear her
voice now as she is singing...
'Deep Within The Sounds Of Silence.'
Midnights Voice's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Crazy Mary by Midnights Voice )
Did you read them?
- Zero Turkey Wing, Havilah
- Reading and Writing, umaprosad das
- The Afternoon, Leong Ming Loong
- Aligarh Muslim University & Raja Mahendr.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Storm Warning, ESPN CHICK
- A Kiss To Otis Redding, Electric Lady
- So Sensitive In My Heart, Rohit Sapra
- You own every part of me, Afrodita Alkline
- You (One Day I'll Forget You), ESPN CHICK
- Advice can have minus point., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Oh, the places you'll go!, Adens Kamwi
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(c. 600 BCE)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)