'Hello Darkness, My Old Friend.'
As the radio spewed out the words
To the 'Sounds of Silence'. An old
Simon and Garfunkel song.
'I've Come To Talk With You Again.'
and Mary would turn the volume down
quickly and explain.
We were maybe upper teens but Mary
had an understanding beyound the prophets
She would explain the hidden meanings
of the songs to me.
'Because A Vision Softly Creeping
Left It's Seeds While I Was Sleeping.'
At the time the Vietnam War was raging
and our friends were dying for nothing.
Jake my best High School friend had
died at eighteen. Mary's brother was
listed as missing in action and never
came to conclusion.
After that Mary sort of lost it and
acquired her nickname. But we both
learned to cope with it and music
was the cure we both sought for healing.
'And That Vision That Was Planted
In My Brain Still Remains.'
Mary grew up, older and married.
Some pseudo fake frat guy who
remained eighteen for the rest of his life.
She turned into a pill dropping alcoholic
and one night went to bed and never
woke up again, and I can hear her
voice now as she is singing...
'Deep Within The Sounds Of Silence.'
Midnights Voice's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Crazy Mary by Midnights Voice )
Did you read them?
- In my heart - you are, gajanan mishra
- 9 August 2014, Shri R Brahma
- 2 August 2014, Shri R Brahma
- 31 July 2014, Shri R Brahma
- It's October 1st. Did you pay your mortg.., Jena Crowe
- Princess Diana, Sonia Ode Lucci
- Revolution, Revolution, Revolu -, Romella Kitchens
- हमें आपके लिए.. hame aapke liye, hasmukh amathalal
- Dusky Day in Dallas, michael walker
- Mom, Barbara Dixion
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)