Christina Georgina Rossetti
Oh why is heaven built so far,
Oh why is earth set so remote?
I cannot reach the nearest star
That hangs afloat.
I would not care to reach the moon,
One round monotonous of change;
Yet even she repeats her tune
Beyond my range.
I never watch the scatter'd fire
Of stars, or sun's far-trailing train,
But all my heart is one desire,
And all in vain:
For I am bound with fleshly bands,
Joy, beauty, lie beyond my scope;
I strain my heart, I stretch my hands,
And catch at hope.
Christina Georgina Rossetti's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (De Profundis by Christina Georgina Rossetti )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- My Mother's Glasses, Kate Harrington
- Remember Me, Monica Lanier
- No One, Monica Lanier
- He is a Soldier, yashassvi periwal
- Our Awesome God, Dr John Celes
- Sonnet: Trust in God, Dr John Celes
- Cabaret Dancer, Bijay Kant Dubey
- You Made That Child, Ronell Warren Alman
- I'd rather be, Monica Lanier
- An Art By Heart, Rasel Khan