Christina Georgina Rossetti
Oh why is heaven built so far,
Oh why is earth set so remote?
I cannot reach the nearest star
That hangs afloat.
I would not care to reach the moon,
One round monotonous of change;
Yet even she repeats her tune
Beyond my range.
I never watch the scatter'd fire
Of stars, or sun's far-trailing train,
But all my heart is one desire,
And all in vain:
For I am bound with fleshly bands,
Joy, beauty, lie beyond my scope;
I strain my heart, I stretch my hands,
And catch at hope.
Christina Georgina Rossetti's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (De Profundis by Christina Georgina Rossetti )
Did you read them?
- PARTNERS IN CRIME, Terry Collett
- Palace of death - this body, gajanan mishra
- Twelve Step Heaven, Joseph Narusiewicz
- Hardcastle Crags, Sylvia Plath
- Burning The Letters, Sylvia Plath
- On Edge at Midnight, Kimani wa Mumbi
- Why do we need friends, Bineeta Kharga
- My Body ain't a Lab, it's a Temple. Wors.., Kimani wa Mumbi
- Black Pine Tree In An Orange Light, Sylvia Plath
- treasure and love, sultan mahmud
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- At Last She Comes, Robert Louis Stevenson
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan