Dead Friend Of My Youth
Now when you come all that way to meet me
From the country house of your death,
I know that you would remove your hat
To greet someone already old to you.
You'd only half recognize this gentleman
Whose face has become so very different.
But to me you'd burn in that former pureness
Kept young by death, a light out of boyhood.
If you would suddenly deign not to dissolve
Your highness and withdraw from my presence,
Perhaps I could simply just close my eyes then,
Perhaps I could also get down on my knees.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Dead Friend Of My Youth by Franz Werfel )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Words, meaningful empty words, Lisa Blossomdale
- Cruelty..., Hafeni Nghidinua
- Me, Lisa Blossomdale
- Cry Me A River, Lilly Emery
- Admiration, tallulah montegue
- MY GRANDMOTHER LOVED ALL KINDS OF FLOWER.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- I Want To Write You A Note, Lilly Emery
- Oxford street, Amitie Abedi
- Woman's Voice, Kate Harrington
- Chaotic Dance, Saiom Shriver