George Pope Morris
Deliver Us From Evil.
Deliver us from evil, Heavenly Father!
It still besets us wheresoe'er we go!
Bid the bright rays of revelation gather
To light the darkness in our way of wo!
Remove the sin that stains our souls--for ever!
Out doubts dispel--our confidence restore!
Write thy forgiveness on our hearts, and never
Let us in vain petition for it more.
Release us from the sorrows that attend us!
Our nerves are torn--at every vein we bleed!
Almighty Parent! with thy strength befriend us!
Else we are helpless in our time of need!
Sustain us, Lord, with thy pure Holy Spirit--
New vigor give to Nature's faltering frame;
And, at life's close, permit us to inherit
The hope that's promised in the Saviour's name.
George Pope Morris's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Deliver Us From Evil. by George Pope Morris )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Inside a family, SALINI NAIR
- Like Crocodiles, Edward Kofi Louis
- The New Chinese Fiction, James Tate
- All that energy..., Dieter Ian Maree
- Let us worship, gajanan mishra
- Girl Jumping Rope, Morgan Michaels
- Woodsmen Day, Doris Beaulieu
- stamp, Alvinzor Flores
- Darkness of the Day, Pintu Mahakul
- A cigar aficionado, Cyndi K. Encinares Gacosta