James Arlington Wright
Depressed by a Book of Bad Poetry, I Walk Toward an Unused Pasture and Invite the Insects to Join Me
Relieved, I let the book fall behind a stone.
I climb a slight rise of grass.
I do not want to disturb the ants
Who are walking single file up the fence post,
Carrying small white petals,
Casting shadows so frail that I can see through them.
I close my eyes for a moment and listen.
The old grasshoppers
Are tired, they leap heavily now,
Their thighs are burdened.
I want to hear them, they have clear sounds to make.
Then lovely, far off, a dark cricket begins
In the maple trees.
James Arlington Wright's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Depressed by a Book of Bad Poetry, I Walk Toward an Unused Pasture and Invite the Insects to Join Me by James Arlington Wright )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(August 8, 1884 – January 29, 1933)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(13-7-31 (see reverse))
- (Adi Sankara) 07 Sankara's works, Rajaram Ramachandran
- (Adi Sankara) 06 A Guru was found, Rajaram Ramachandran
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Manw..?, Swrji Basumatary
- She Came to Me, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Life Begins Again, Md. Ziaul Haque
- A Good Soul, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Best Wishes My Love, Valentine Mbagu
- Relativity And Love, Sambanath Denis
- 2014, Joseph Archer
- For violating state law, Cyndi K. Gacosta
- De optelsom van al het Kwaad, Madrason writer
- Summer, Jordy lustig