Oh, you scoundrel,
Which I deal with every day,
How I hate you so,
When you must govern my life,
As if I have no control over you.
You fiend, which feasts on my pain,
How I hate you when you come at my direst hour,
Flourishing from my torment,
And thriving off my desperation.
O, Desire, who do you think you are?
That you can give your victims pain?
And make your hosts suffer plight?
Who are you to make people suffer in life,
To give them endless strife,
To deprive them of every bit of happiness in this world?
To give them pride,
And to give them vanity,
Which makes them fall in the end?
Who are you to make me suffer?
Who are you to make humans suffer?
Oh, you know no limits.
You foul fiend, you cruel cretin,
You shrewd scoundrel, you wily weasel,
You know no limits and can take of whomever you please,
But I have learned that,
In his Miltonic plight,
That virtue conquers all
And shall give me hope in life.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Desire by Justin Reamer )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
Alfred Edward Housman
(26 March 1859 – 30 April 1936)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Gerard Manley Hopkins
(28 July 1844 – 8 June 1889)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- On Earth Humans, Sari Mavi
- Being Exposed, Edward Kofi Louis
- Ignorance.., SALINI NAIR
- Sweet Tea!, Edward Kofi Louis
- John Masefield - Vagabundo, Paul Abucean
- The Warped Human Minds, rajendran muthiah
- Polished Nail, maria sudibyo
- Bromance In The Air, maria sudibyo
- Counting Days, maria sudibyo
- Rain in My Heart, maria sudibyo