A child is not picked up after practice.
School is over. Nothing left but the
late afternoon, ungraded activities....
soccer, band, chess club. No more
expectations. Hangers-on have nothing to gain.
If you are not alone, its a fine time to talk.
Hallways are empty, dusty and echoing. A
locker around the corner bangs shut. A whistle
blows in the gym. The band butchers a door-muted
rendition of the Star Spangled Banner.
A young life is so many school days and they all
drain as slowly as a clogged sink.
Forty years ago Jay and I had both read
'A Catcher In The Rye'. I cant even remember
Jay's last name, but he told me I reminded him
of Holden Caulfield and I am still flattered.
Don Tiedemann's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Dismissal by Don Tiedemann )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(August 5, 1934)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Matilda Who told Lies, and was Burned to.., Hilaire Belloc
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Snail I am, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Seurat, Ira Sadoff
- An Old Love, David Lewis Paget
- Social Awkwardness, Emily Liang
- Ode to My Hands, Tim Seibles
- Ode on My Episiotomy, Kimberly Johnson
- Teaghlach (Family), Ewen Morrison
- love so pure, love so true, kat tommany
- THE MIDDLE GROUND, Satish Verma
- bonds of friendship, kat tommany