Don't Cry For Horses
I lost one of my most cherished horses.
A wonderful great tempered quarter horse named doc.
Doc went down out in the pasture.
I called my vet it did't look good so in a desperate effort to save him.
I decided to take the last penny i had to rush him to the emergency vet clinic.
With thehelp of friends we fought to get doc on his feet.
We pushed pulled and shoved finally getting doc in to the trailer.
I drove as fast as i could and some how amazenly doc stayed on his feet.
We arrived at the clinic where the emergency team was waiting for us.
I quickly unloaded doc even in one of lifes most dramatic moments.
Doc came out of the trailer i led him into the examining room.
Test quickly showed that doc was in seriouse trouble with little hope of surviving.
Without surgery doc would surely die.
While i was taking afew moments to deside the best thing to do for doc.
Doc made that decision for me.He went down for the last time and laid quietly.
I will never forget the look of acceptance in thoese soft brow eyes.
As the vet ended his suffering.On trhe way home as i drove hauling doc behind us.
I sat with part of doc still in my mind.I cried in my silence.
this poem cam to me.
This poem is dedicated to all that's ever losa a bestfriend and a beloved horse.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Don't Cry For Horses by melissa ward )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(6 January 1878 – 22 July 1967)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- True Love, Robert Penn Warren
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
Poem of the Day
- Fruitless love, Nero CaroZiv
- Misunderstood, Madrason writer
- Do what father says, Madrason writer
- Placid Emotions, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Verzetsstrijders, Madrason writer
- Weke vaders, Madrason writer
- Disconnected, Madrason writer
- From what tall lie am I, Madrason writer
- Out Of Body, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Honour my feelings!, Rekha Mandagere