Don't feed the birds
At my local park there's a sign
As plain as the nose on your face
'please don't feed the birds
At this lake or within this space'.
I was a little disappointed
When a lady was feeding them bread
a swan and her six little babies
As she ignored what the sign had said.
How will they find food
When the friendly supply ends?
What happens to the ducklings
When she stops feeding them?
For living is a skill that we
Never seem to stop learning
Whether it's relationships
Or how we make our earning.
For if everything in life
Always went our way
And people did it all for us
We wouldn't adapt to change.
We never would discover
How to find our own feed
And store enough for others
And keep just enough for me.
Peter Hall's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Don't feed the birds by Peter Hall )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Talking Turkeys!, Benjamin Zephaniah
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- A Song Of Joys, Walt Whitman
- Fließendes Grün, Floy Dy (Floyd) Ra (Floydson)
- Release yourself, Elena Ioannou
- BETCHE SAID PATIENCE, ANTHONY KIRUI
- Crazy Thing, Leah Ayliffe
- A Thought A Head, Ima Ryma
- **कधी कधी **, Lyrics Swapnild Chatge
- ** सागं ना 2 **, Lyrics Swapnild Chatge
- ** अबोल भावना मनातल्या **, Lyrics Swapnild Chatge
- I am Not Alone, Sandra Feldman