Robert William Service
God gave you guts: don't let Him down;
Brace up, be worthy of His giving.
The road's a rut, the sky's a frown;
I know you're plumb fed up with living.
Fate birches you, and wry the rod . . .
Snap out, you fool! Don't let down God.
Oh, yes, you're on misfortune's shift,
And weary is the row your hoeing;
You have no home, you drift and drift,
Seems folks don't care the way you're going . . .
Well, make them care - you're not afraid:
Step on the gas - you'll make the grade.
Believe that God has faith in you,
In you His loving light is shining;
All of you that is fine and true
Is part of Him, so quit your whining . . .
buck up, son, for your Maker's sake:
Don't let Him down - give God a break.
Robert William Service's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Drifter by Robert William Service )
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- About the Bone xx xxx xx Improvisa.., Lee Mack
- To A Place Beyond Hell, Paula Glynn
- WHAT A SHAME! ! !, G. AKANJI OLANIYI
- it will happen like this, Mandolyn ...
- The worst is not the best anytime, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- The Tale Of Snow White And The Seven Dwa.., Muhammad Farhan Ahmed
- My Mommy's Apple Pie!, santhosh kumar
- Flying out, maryline vautravers
- From God to God, Prof Niamat Ali Murtazai
- Conscienceless, hafiz qasim