Shams al-Din Hafiz Shirazi
Drops of his Heart's Blood
THE nightingale with drops of his heart's blood
Had nourished the red rose, then came a wind,
And catching at the boughs in envious mood,
A hundred thorns about his heart entwined.
Like to the parrot crunching sugar, good
Seemed the world to me who could not stay
The wind of Death that swept my hopes away.
Light of mine eyes and harvest of my heart,
And mine at least in changeless memory!
Ah, when he found it easy to depart,
He left the harder pilgrimage to me!
Oh Camel-driver, though the cordage start,
For God's sake help me lift my fallen load,
And Pity be my comrade of the road!
My face is seamed with dust, mine eyes are wet.
Of dust and tears the turquoise firmament
Kneadeth the bricks for joy's abode; and yet . . .
Alas, and weeping yet I make lament!
Because the moon her jealous glances set
Upon the bow-bent eyebrows of my moon,
He sought a lodging in the grave-too soon!
I had not castled, and the time is gone.
What shall I play? Upon the chequered floor
Of Night and Day, Death won the game-forlorn
And careless now, Hafiz can lose no more.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Drops of his Heart's Blood by Shams al-Din Hafiz Shirazi )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
(9 November 1928 – 4 October 1974)
(03 April 1964)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(November 19, 1942)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
Poem of the Day
- Marwari Businessman Father-in-law Want I.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Happiness is not preventive., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Fatal Attraction, Sandra Feldman
- Be a finger of the hand., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- My Typical Village, Bijay Kant Dubey
- I shall love self, hasmukh amathalal
- Keep the thought free., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- I remember, hasmukh amathalal
- On birthday some mend, hasmukh amathalal
- Thou Shakespeare, Abby Bilan