in an empty parking lot in Dubai
with both hands
on my temples
and think about the girl,
about other people's troubles
and I realise I haven't had a drink.
Then I realise that I can't, It's Dubai
and I start walking,
suddenly I smell a sea.
next to an empty beach in Dubai.
and the water doesn't roll in waves
It just goes up and down,
pissing me off.
I have reached
an empty residential colony in Dubai.
Not really empty, they're all just asleep
and I think
they must have drank at their homes.
I stand at the center
of an empty crossroads in Dubai
I'm getting tired
and all the cars are doing a hundred and twenty.
I look up
at all the towers
of oil-money Babylon
and i curse them.
Fifty dogs start barking
and somehow I am terrified
so I run.
an empty cab
and beg the driver to take me to some alcohol,
I think I was crying.
He brings me
to a hotel bar
thats open all night.
I sit at the counter
the 'tender is polite and Sri Lankan
a beer costs 50 D
but i still
Salil Singh's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Dubai by Salil Singh )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- limericks section (more to be added) fi.., lee fones
- Because of my dream, Alex Adeoye
- O CRUEL AGGRESSORS! YOU CAN NOT BEND OR .., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Puddles Of Life, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- WHAT DO WE HAVE TO LOSE MORE THAN WHAT W.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Rembrandt, Phil Soar
- Margrit Biever Mondavi…..Happy Birthday .., James B. Earley
- Symbols Unremembered, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Restoration, Nalini Chaturvedi
- Lovely Fact, Naveed Akram