Due To You: The Litany
Due to you, I had an Ereka Badu Winter
my hair wrapped up and my heart broken
wit no emotional glue 2 put it back 2 together
Due to you, the sun was no longer hot, simply
there and birds were no creation I studied without
despise of their ability to wing away from human beings
and their ability to bring the other human being crashing
back down to earth when they had been so in flight.
Wine had no taste to it, due to your degradation of its character.
Bridges sagged spiritually in the middle.
Flowers lay dormant cursing the season and never bloomed.
Old men avoided the season of late love and paid bills and played
Nothing prostested. Yet little was sustained.
Your wild eyed frenzy of exhortation.
Your charming even the moonlight.
Due to you ancient queens were at best dethroned
Guilt and recompense auctioned off in your wake.
Silk became burlap and fondue became bargain peanut butter.
All licked wounds came up the sourest, ugliest salt only
discounted by the burning time and whiskey.
And, you walked away through traffic when done
like breaking a heart was just another Gangland
execution making glib speeches about self-victimization
on your way to another crime scene.
Romella Kitchens's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Due To You: The Litany by Romella Kitchens )
- Lost Love Redux, Robert Kane
- When I see u, dipa bhattacharyya
- This Flower, Rohit Sapra
- Pretend, dipa bhattacharyya
- This unknown world هذا العالم المجهول, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- IF, dipa bhattacharyya
- This unknown world, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Grace, Scott J. Shepard
- My chidhood poem collection -2, soulful heart
- Pleasant Weather, Royal Flower
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)