Elegy Written On My Student
Yesterday you attended class we saw
and studied, played with friends all day long.
Among lots you didn't attention draw,
In assembly you sang, the prayer-song,
but we didn't differ you from other.
Morning bell rang, we all thronged for prayer.
I heard a whisper, 'Neha is no more, brother.'
But couldn't make out as I met her rare.
Std v student? I don't have any class there.
She died when her legs slipped on their yard.
a girl of nine, but her parents didn't care.
They didn't take her to doctor, or feared.
Still now I can't recognize her, though
she has been one of our pupils,
she has been lost in air we know,
we won't see her in class room or in drills.
Neela Nath's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Elegy Written On My Student by Neela Nath )
Did you read them?
- Written by Somebody on the Window of an .., Robert Burns
- Scroggam, my dearie, Robert Burns
- Epitaph for William Nicol, High School, .., Robert Burns
- Lovely Polly Stewart, Robert Burns
- Rantin, Rovin Robin, Robert Burns
- The Gardener wi' his Paidle, Robert Burns
- Sonnet: Philarete, George Wither
- For Seasonable Weather, George Wither
- The Prayer Of Habakuk, George Wither
- St. Peter's Day, George Wither
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Away, Melancholy, Stevie Smith
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(2 June 1840 – 11 January 1928)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)