L C Vieira
Enchantment's hour, soon elves at play with fairies full of grace,
in gowns of pink and silver, shimmering satin and fine lace.
These flutter ‘round the baby, Princess Emmy Rose asleep,
to tickle toes and pinch her nose until the wee one squeaks.
She stirs, surprised, all giggles and eyes, to find the buzz nearby,
then coos with glee again to see her nightly friends dropp by.
They visit here when hour's late, and grownups are asleep,
and spread around their golden charms and promises to keep.
Some flutter past on moonlight beams to sprinkle fairy dust
on baby's breath and dampened brow as she delights in such.
So swing the elves back to and fro 'cross curtains, lamps, and walls,
on top' the crib and past the child who smiling, jumps and falls.
Just then, all hear the footsteps from a room not far away,
and Mama's worried wondering about her child at play.
The elves to fancy fairies wink, a twinkle in their eyes,
and with a wave and wiggle, tuck in magic and goodbyes.
The footsteps stop, the knob is turned, the door slides to a crack,
and Mama's eyes move closely near, but then she stops - steps back.
No strangeness here tonight again, it must be her own dreams,
for there asleep is smiling babe, wrapped in a soft moon beam.
(2012 rewritten as best remembered after being lost for decades)
L C Vieira's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Enchantment's Hour by L C Vieira )
- What's happen?, Harold R Hunt Sr
- PH: Humor: Women6Verses9Men - Who's On T.., Brian Johnston
- forgetting he-huckleberry, I ring-around.., Harindhar Reddy
- Ninja Nejla, Muzaffer Akin
- Design of Life, Rohit Sapra
- My Dear, Dipankar Sadhukhan
- Daisies, Eugene Levich
- A Description Of Mercy, Giles Fletcher The Younger
- Until You Came Along, Shakeela Kingzley
- If you forget, Emmanuel George Cefai
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)