Who brought you here, who in the dusk
A prolonged sunset a night held back
Who told the bird to hide, who but thirsty
On the bank of a river.
A fish, having emptied all the jars
Who but feeds water in the ocean.
Who has written you? It is whom, who
Erased you. You having been read
Before the last lines of a calligraphy
Touched in your color.
Standing on the forefoot, holding balance
The raised hand was pointed up
You ran a swan’s steps before flying
Expanding your wings, into an unknown freedom.
You let your luggage fall behind.
Who was driving the horse faster than it was,
You were not escaping.
You were neither breaking the prison walls
With an ax.
You wake up to a brighter sun,
A finer company of gracious demeanors
A host worthy of name and attendants ready
To serve. You are overlooking
The city walls, a minaret
You have been erased and you came up
With a song. Are not you surprised?
Your name carries all the fortuitous tidings ever.
Sadiqullah Khan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Erased by Sadiqullah Khan )
- The Beatles in Auckland, michael walker
- Gandhi, gajanan mishra
- Keep Up, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- You, Jose Orozco
- In my heart - you are, gajanan mishra
- 9 August 2014, Shri R Brahma
- 2 August 2014, Shri R Brahma
- 31 July 2014, Shri R Brahma
- It's October 1st. Did you pay your mortg.., Jena Crowe
- Princess Diana, Sonia Ode Lucci
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(c. 600 BCE)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Udiah (witness to Yah)