To Rex Hobcroft
Wind crosshatches shallow water.
Paddocks rest in the sea's arm.
Swamphens race through spiky grass.
A wire fence leans, a crazy stave
with sticks for barlines, wind for song.
Over use, interweaving light
with air and substance, ride the gulls.
Words in our undemanding speech
hover and blend with things observed.
Syllables flow in the tide's pulse.
My earliest memory turns in air:
Eclipse. Cocks crow, as if at sunset;
Grandmother, holding a smoked glass,
says to me, 'Look. Remember this.'
Over the goldbrown sand my children
run in the wind. The sky's immense
with spring's new radiance. Far from here,
lying close to the final darkness,
a great-grandmother lives and suffers,
still praising life: another morning
on earth, cockcrow and changing light.
Over the skeleton of thought
mind builds a skin of human texture.
The eye's [art of another eye
that guides it through the maze of light.
A line becomes a firm horizon.
All's as it was in the beginning.
Gwen Harwood's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Estuary by Gwen Harwood )
- tO Watch? 'The Maze Runner' 2014 online .., canadi arese
- Piece of peace, george albot
- THE POEM FROM HINTERLAND, SirLalianMwittah Nyalali
- An Elixir, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Sirene, Tanja Bulovic
- Dream Life, Nassy Fesharaki
- u want? Watch 'Divergent' Free Online St.., ada ajakaunak
- The Jackalope Man, Like a Goose to Florida, Bruce Larkin
- I'm Wally the Wacky Warlock, Bruce Larkin
- One Day I Dreamed, Clive Blake
Poem of the Day
- FRee! ! Barcelona vs Ajax Live. Streamin.., miami dupli
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Enjoyable@@ Roma vs Bayern Munich live s.., Shohag Kaysar
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- miami dupli
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 January 1832 – 14 January 1898)