B. R. Dionysius
[Excerpt from The Negativity Bin]
(i) Lower than the Angels
‘Today is the first day of the rest of your life.’
(i) Woolloongabba, Brisbane 1998 AD
The first thing Helen says is,
‘If any of you touch me,
Their first session
in Job Search Training
with Work Corrections Australia.
The Maori man beside Baldwin
has difficulty filling in
his career skills survey.
How can you describe a life
in twenty-five words or less?
Misbah does not call
the Job Network member (JNM)
to let them know that
he’s not coming in.
He figures, in one hundred
years we’ll all be jobless
(& with God) anyhow.
He’ll enjoy this day
like it’s his last.
A lick of breeze lifts.
(iii) The Ascent
‘Every animal leaves traces of what it was; man alone leaves traces of what he created’ – J. Bronowski
The Taung baby;
the first pre-millennial
Hollywood child star
raises her head & time stops.
The Rift Valley hums like
an apartment block on M LOW defrost.
Unemployed for two million years
her child labour resumes in 1924.
Australopithecus -‘Southern Ape’,
the first astronaut on that -
‘awful planet of the apes’.
No paid overtime, no holiday loading,
no maternity leave in the ascent of man.
(iv) Now, the other dole bludgers in the queue:
– fossil lemur (50 million BC.)
– Aegyptopithecus (30 million BC.)
– Dryopithecus (20 million BC.)
– Ramapithecus (14 million BC.)
– Australopithecus (4-5 million BC.)
– Homo Erectus (1 million BC.)
– Homo Sapiens (500,000 BC.)
NB. Neanderthal Man tried to jump the queue 100,000 years ago & was breached out of existence.
NB. Fire making; the first work for the dole project.
Work Corrections Australia
This is the Taung child
How can I help you?
B. R. Dionysius's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem ([Excerpt from The Negativity Bin] by B. R. Dionysius )
- Down below, GRANT FRASER
- لماذا, ala rhmn
- Branches Reaching, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- WHY, ala rhmn
- Pabsdorf's Regnen: Dawn of the Summer, Dozie Wogu
- Pabsdorf's Regnen, Dozie Wogu
- Herr! Herr! ! She knows Little, Dozie Wogu
- Herr Herr, Dozie Wogu
- Weinen Nicht: Cry of a Mother, Dozie Wogu
- Reality: Warum Nicht, Dozie Wogu
Poem of the Day
- Morning, Paul Laurence Dunbar
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Who's Who, Benjamin Zephaniah
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(15 April 1958)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)