Naomi Shihab Nye
The river is famous to the fish.
The loud voice is famous to silence,
which knew it would inherit the earth
before anybody said so.
The cat sleeping on the fence is famous to the birds
watching him from the birdhouse.
The tear is famous, briefly, to the cheek.
The idea you carry close to your bosom
is famous to your bosom.
The boot is famous to the earth,
more famous than the dress shoe,
which is famous only to floors.
The bent photograph is famous to the one who carries it
and not at all famous to the one who is pictured.
I want to be famous to shuffling men
who smile while crossing streets,
sticky children in grocery lines,
famous as the one who smiled back.
I want to be famous in the way a pulley is famous,
or a buttonhole, not because it did anything spectacular,
but because it never forgot what it could do.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Famous by Naomi Shihab Nye )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- AS LONG AS AGGRESSION GOES ON, THEN PEOP.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Timeless Aging Moments, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- CUPS AND LUMPS, maqsood hasni
- How can i be against Marriage?, Anand Vivek
- Thoughts Of Love, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Genuine Soulmate, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- DON'T BE WORRIED, maqsood hasni
- Choice still in hand, maqsood hasni
- No Understanding Of Fate, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- थुनलाइ सोरजिनि, Ronjoy Brahma