Felt like a hero!
An innocent young boy
Seventeen years old guy!
Went to the medical college
Stayed in the gents’ hostel!
An adolescent boy once
Under parents supervision!
Now he is free with his friends
Under the control of the wardens!
He was a disciplined boy
Had the opportunity to smoke!
A free cigarette offered in the
Month end dinner in the mess!
He picked up gradually,
Weekly one cigarette joyfully!
Smoked Four to five cigarettes
While travel in West coast express!
From Mangalore to Podanur
Podanur to Mangalore back!
In sitting accommodation
In sleeper compartment!
Proudly smoking in the presence
Of seniors and elders of course!
Unaware of the consequences
Continued smoking till forty years!
He developed one day
Fogging of the eyes off!
While taking every smoke puff
Ignored the warning!
Had the angina pain worrying,
Angiogram test result was alarming!
Underwent CABG, after creating worry,
Coronary artery by-pass graft surgery!
Why take risk young fellows?
Prevention is better than cure!
Don’t start smoking for fun,
End in bad heart health in vain!
Dr.V.K. Kanniappan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Felt like a hero! by Dr.V.K. Kanniappan )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- Three Word Poem, kitty smith
- A Part of the Passion, Maharishi Deja Vu
- Cotton, Mike Walsh
- i would so come and give without taking..., Mandolyn ...
- Statistician, Dr PJ Raj Kamal
- Splattered On An Aging Quilt, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- OUR CONSCIENCE KEEPS US FAITHFUL, Tom Zart
- Qi Breath, Maharishi Deja Vu
- Railway station, Dr PJ Raj Kamal
- I Want The Past That Will Never Be Again, Shalom Freedman